Monday, November 15, 2010

Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice

With Thanksgiving (and holiday) baking just around the corner, I like to go through my spices and replace or replenish what I am running low on. I'm lucky to have a bulk food section at my local grocery store that carries a good selection of basic spices.  I can usually stock up on spices for dirt cheap! However pumpkin pie spice is not one they usually carry, and if they do it's kind of pricey. I really like using pumpkin pie spice in my fall baking. I decided I could probably make my own fairly inexpensively. I found the original recipe for it on Living On A Dime. I tweaked the ratios and increased the quantities to make a larger amount (it's just as easy to make a little as to make a lot!). It is quick and easy to stir up a batch, and now I'm ready to start my baking frenzy! I store my  pumpkin pie spice in an old peanut butter jar (just make sure to label your jar, so you know what's in it)!

Pumpkin Pie Spice
(this makes one teaspoon of spice)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground clove

Pumpkin Pie Spice
(this makes 40 teaspoons of spice)

3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon nutmeg
5 teaspoons ginger
5 teaspoons ground clove
Mix ingredients together and store in a cool, dry place.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, nice. When I bought Pumpkin Pie Spice last year, I remember thinking it was pretty expensive. This is going in my file. Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again my dear you are brilliant. It is way too expensive to buy. Thanks for saving me. I am making this soon. Love how you recycled the bottle. Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this! I'm making this tonight!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails