I got the BEST recipe from my Fabulous Friend, Kelly C., a couple weeks ago and I have been dying to make it! Luckily, I had some chicken breasts leftover over from camp that I had cooked in the crock pot, and put in the freezer for a busy day dinner. Yesterday, qualified as a busy day, so I grabbed a bag of shredded chicken to thaw out. The recipe is perfect for using up leftover chicken (although, you could cook the chicken in a skillet right before you make the salad). The salad was quick and easy to put together and was delicious!
I will definitely being adding this to my Summer mainstay recipes! A DOUBLE thank you to darling Kelly for sharing her recipe with me, you saved my family from eating PB&J!
Chicken Taco Salad
(feeds six adults)
4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
2 packages of taco seasoning mix
1 1/2 cups water
1 bag of lettuce mix (or 6 cups chopped lettuce)
2 tomatoes, chopped
4 - 6 green onions, sliced
2 cups shredded cheddar, colby jack, or mexican style cheese
1 regular size bag of nacho flavor Doritios ( I think they are 10 - 12 oz)
1 cup prepared ranch dressing
- Add chicken, taco seasoning packets, and water to a skillet. Cook until water is absorbed and chicken is heated through. Set aside.
- Combine salad, tomatoes, and onions in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the lettuce mixture.
- Place warm chicken mixture on top of cheese.
- Crush nacho flavored chips ( I did this in the bag) and pour over the top of the chicken.
- Pour salad dressing over chips and mix until salad is well combined.