Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Prom Time

I was going to post this on Saturday (the actual day of the Prom), but it's kind of hard to post on your blog when the Internet is down! Better late than never, I guess.

It just seems like I was posting about the Prom, and here it is, again! Is it just me or does time seems to be speeding up?  In true Tightwad Mom fashion, I tried to cut costs as much as possible.

The kid's decided they wanted to go on a picnic for dinner rather than a restaurant meal. I provided dessert. Cheesecake was requested by one and all. Don't tell the kid's, but I didn't have time to make sauce for the top of the cheesecake. It's just strawberry freezer jam than I warmed up in the microwave for a couple seconds.


I also made the corsage and boutonniere. One ten dollar bouquet of flowers yielded one corsage and two boutonnieres with some flowers left over. I probably could have squeezed a second corsage out if necessary.


Of course, in true Mom fashion, I do have to show off how cute my baby looks. His date was so beautiful, and she is a sweetheart. He couldn't have picked a nicer girl to take.


A Prom date is much more fun if you have your buddies with you! Child #1 decided that he would rather wear a suit than a tuxedo this year. I was totally fine with his decision. I would rather invest the $100.00 rental fee toward a suit purchase. The best part is that when we went to J.C. Penney to look for one, they had a Clearance rack full of suit jackets and pants. I also had clipped a "save $20.00 off $100.00 coupon" out of the newspaper. In the end, we were able to purchase a suit jacket and two pairs of pants for $86.00. Much cheaper than even renting a tux. He did want a vest to match his date's dress, so we rented one for the night.


The kids all had a great time! If you would like to read my other post on money saving ideas of school dances, you can find it HERE.

5 comments:

  1. I have found you can buy a tuxedo complete for around 125.00. Get it long in the arms and legs and bigger in the waist. They should be able to alter and wear for years. If more parents knew this we could put the rental shops out of business. You then sell the tux after son graduates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the kids look great. kudos to #1 for going with a suit. though I may sound like a killjoy, I think that should be mandatory for proms. what a waste of money those tuxes are!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome group of kids!! Way to go on the suit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your suit dude that Prom suit for men is perfect fit to your body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to know that coupons could even be used to purchased suits. That's a great find! Proms are a very special day to our kids, so we should support them to make the event more memorable one for them. You picked a good suit, and it fits him really well. Hope that everything turned out great. Take care!

    Exclusive Men's Wear

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails