You can buy The Works toilet bowl cleaner at the Dollar Tree and Walmart.
Basically this is what I did:
- Turn off heated drying cycle on your dishwasher.
- Place newspaper under dishwasher to catch any drips. This is VERY important if you have laminate or hard wood floors. If the cleaner sits on your floor for very long it will eat the finish off of your floor! Wipe up spill and change wet newspaper IMMEDIATELY!
- Squirt toilet bowl cleaner on the sides and around the entire bottom of the dishwasher.
- I squirted some into the holes of my sprayer arms because they were filled up with crud,too.
- Let cleaner sit for 5 to 15 minutes, depending on how bad the build up is. I let mine sit for 10 minutes.
- Fill the detergent cup up with toilet bowl cleaner.
- Run the dishwasher on the Light Wash cycle (that way the dishwasher doesn't drain out your cleaner before it is done working).
- When dishwasher hits the drying cycle, open the door and let the steam escape.
- Use a wet sponge to wipe out any remaining grunge.
- Run your dishwasher without anything in it through a second cycle to remove any remaining cleaner.
- Admire your beautifully clean dishwasher!
Here it is after a thorough detox:
Almost like new! The best part is the dishes actually came out clean and sparkly! The troops are happy, too. They were getting tired of doing multiple loads of dishes by hand everyday to keep up. The big babies! I remember when I was growing up I had to do dishes by hand...uphill... in a snow storm....