Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Baking Day And Home Made Yogurt

I have decided that I must spend at least half of my life in the kitchen! I don't do this intentionally, I just always end up there. In all fairness, I do split my time equally with the laundry room (the laundry room is where I hang out when I want privacy. Nobody dares enter the laundry "lair", or I'll put them to work sorting or folding. Both are considered dreaded work)!
I don't really mind being in the kitchen (except when it's messy). It is considered the heart of the home, after all!

Lately, I have probably been spending extra time in the kitchen, because I have been taking a good long look at my families eating habits; and trying to can, cook, and bake more home made items, for several reasons:
  • It does save money to make things from scratch.
  • If you make it yourself you know what's in it and where it has been.
  • It's healthier.
  • I feel like I'm nurturing my family if I am feeding them home cooked goodness.
Wednesdays are my day off from work, so I have set aside the last couple to put my experiment into action. Last week I reinvented my leftover's from the fridge while I did my baking. This week I have kept a pretty good rein on the leftovers. Today the only thing that needed used up was some leftover applesauce (imagine that!). The kids are tired of eating plain applesauce, so I turned the little bit that was left into Applesauce Muffins.


I found a recipe for Brown Sugar Banana Muffins at Recipe Girl.com. They sounded yummy, so I switched out the bananas for applesauce.

I decided to put some of the apple pie filling that I have been canning to good use, and baked a couple of pies. This time of the year always get an urge to bake pie. If you double a batch of pie dough and throw some in the freezer pie baking is quick and easy. One went to the neighbor's, who has just had surgery, to cheer him up.


I also tried my hand at making home made vanilla yogurt, too. I have been very excited to try this since I read how to make yogurt on The Frugal Girl's blog a couple of weeks ago. She is one smart cookie when it comes to frugality. I figured that a half gallon of whole milk from my local no frills grocery store costs $.84 and 1/2 cup of sugar cost my roughly $.06 so for 8 cups of yogurt I spent $.90 or $.11 for an 8oz. a serving. The cheapest I can buy yogurt for is between $.29 and $.36 for a 6oz a serving. Here is what the finished product looks like:


I snitched a taste, and it is yummy! It is going to taste great mixed with fresh fruit, or a swirl of raspberry freezer jam! Next time I make yogurt I think I will do some plain, too. You can trade out plain yogurt for sour cream in most recipes, and $.42 cents for 4 cups of sour cream substitute is pretty cheap. Looks like it's muffins and yogurt for breakfast at our house tomorrow! Yum!

7 comments:

  1. Hi! just found link to your blog on The Cutting Back Kitchen site and have immediately become a follower!! I too like to make stuff from scratch and esp. hate throwing out stuff. It's been a little hectic here recently but your blog has inspired me to get back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! You did awesome. I have been wanting to make homemade yogart and now you have inspired me. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, again, I you never cease to amaze me. I have been wanting to make homemade yogurt for some time now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't fall great for all the baking!?! Now, I just have to give it away so my hips don't hate me. Of course 4 boys help in that area too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kid's ate the yogurt for breakfast,and loved it! They have already gone through most of a jar. I guess I will be making another batch this weekend.

    Jake, Welcome to my humble blog! I am happy to have you here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet your house smelled like heaven this week. Muffins and yogurt and pie, oh my! I love that you hide out in the laundry room. Our laundry room is a walk through room from the garage to the kitchen so there is no place to hide and I don't think anyone really notices the washer and dryer in there anyway. Figures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to laugh over your using the laundry room for your "private space." It would be the same around here, except my oldest now helps with laundry as her way of "paying" for her cell phone. I like having help!

    Isn't the Frugal Girl's recipe for homemade yogurt great? I make it with nonfat milk, but let it sit a little longer in the cooler and it comes out perfect every time. I haven't made any for awhile, but am going to make some soon and get it on our breakfast menu in parfaits, layers of yogurt, fruit and granola.

    I need to make some muffins, too . . . .

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails