I sometimes use the leftover buns to make "hoagie" sandwiches for the kid's lunches. If I give it a fancy name, maybe they won't realize they are eating lunch meat and cheese on a hamburger bun! I have also layered pizza sauce, pepperoni, and mozarella cheese on a hot dog bun, broiled it and called it a Pizza Dog (see it's all in the name!). My favorite way to use up leftover buns is to turn them into garlic bread, or if I'm feeling fancy (and I have cheese to use up) garlic cheese bread.
It's very simple:
- Split the buns and lay the halves in a single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet
- Spread softened butter on the bun halves.
- Sprinkle lightly (or heavily, if your a garlic lover) with garlic powder.
- Broil in the oven for 5 - 7 minutes (if you are going to make cheese bread go for the lesser amount of time). Watch bread closely so it doesn't burn!
- If you want to make garlic cheese bread. Sprinkle Mozzarella (or a combination of Parmesan and Mozzarella) cheese on top of the toasted buns.
- Broil for a few more minutes until the cheese is bubbly.
- I have also mixed 1/2 cup softened butter with 1 teaspoon minced garlic and 1 teaspoon parsley flakes and spread that on the bun halves in place of garlic powder. It is very yummy, too.