Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins And A Couple Handy Tips

In order to keep up with my self imposed goal of baking and cooking more from scratch, I have been trying to bake several recipes at the same time. It is more efficient to bake several things at once while the oven is already preheated, baking supplies are already out, and the kitchen is already a mess (at least in my case!). For instance, if I am going to bake bread, I will mix together and knead the bread dough. While it is rising I will whip up a batch of muffins (doubling it, so half  can go in the freezer for quick breakfasts or lunch box treats) or cookies (also doubled,  because if word gets out that cookie baking is going on at the Tightwad household the kid's friends will always show up to "help" us eat them!). The warm stove top (from the heat generated from the oven) is great for letting bread dough rise, and using the oven efficiently  reduces energy waste.
A couple days ago, I was going through the refrigerator finding odds and ends that needed to be used up. I came across an almost empty jar of home made applesauce and half of a leftover baked butternut squash. Muffins popped into my head. Since I was already planning on baking a batch of cookies, I thought muffins would be a great addition, too. Muffins and quick breads are a great way to used up leftover cooked carrots, squash, over ripe fruit, or odds and ends. I looked through my new cook book  "The Taste Of Home Baking Book" (thank you Dear Hubby).


In it I found a recipe for Pumpkin Streusel  Muffins. I tweaked the recipe a little bit so that I could use up the leftover applesauce. I also doubled the original recipe to have leftovers to freeze. Here is what I came up with.


"Pumpkin" Streusel Muffins
(makes about two dozen muffins)
1/2 cup butter (or shortening), softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups pureed butternut squash (you can also use canned pumpkin, or cooked, mashed carrots)
1/2 cup applesauce ( or add 1/2 cup more pumpkin to the recipe)
1 cup buttermilk (or sour milk, or plain yogurt, or sour cream)
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup molasses
4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt

STREUSEL TOPPING:
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour
4 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into twelve small sections
(Combine flour and brown sugar in a bowl. cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. I just mix it together with my clean hands.)
  1. In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
  2. Add squash, applesauce, buttermilk, molasses, and mix well.
  3. In a medium bowl combine flour , baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
  4. Gradually add flour mixture into wet ingredients until just blended (the batter will be lumpy).
  5. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
  6. Sprinkle streusel topping over batter. 
  7. Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
  8. Cool on a wire rack. Cool at least 15 minutes before eating.
HANDY TIP #1: I love streusel topping, but it is notoriously messy. I discovered that if you put a round cookie or biscuit cutter over the top of  muffin before you sprinkle the crumbly topping it will go on the top of the muffin batter and not all over the pan and counter (and the floor, if you are like me!)


HANDY TIP #2: Watch for paper cupcake/ muffin liners on clearance racks and at Dollar Stores. You can some times find them cheaper than at the grocery store. If your not picky about the design you can get them for pennies. I didn't think the Troops would mind snowman faces on their muffins and I scored these for $.43 a 75 count package ( or $.005 a piece).

4 comments:

  1. I have GOT to get better about doing back to back cooking. and also thank you for reminding me I've got some fresh pumpkins that need cooking. your muffins look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that baking is one of those things you should do a lot while you have a mess! Your muffins look awesome. I have two of the Taste of Home cookbooks like that...best winning recipes and the regular one. I need the baking one now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving those muffins!! Great ideas. I really need to be more like you!! You are my HERO!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to amaze me. That recipe is great, love the tips about containing the streusel topping mess and looking at the dollar store for muffin papers! I'll bet that's a great cookbook, too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails