Monday, December 27, 2010

Frugal Pumpkin Pie


One of my goals for 2011 is to completely cut out food waste. I must confess that I throw out a leftover or two every week, and this has given me no end of guilt! Throwing out  food is just like throwing money in the garbage (or compost heap). I am confessing my sin (one of many) to you in the hopes that I will now feel accountable for my wastefulness. Tonight I made my first step. I have a fridge full of odds and ends (who doesn't right now). Included in the miscellany, is half a cooked butternut squash, a cup of leftover candied sweet potatoes, and 3/4 of a quart of egg nog, and a couple of refrigerator pie crusts. I got a stellar deal on eggs at the grocery store last week ($4.82 for 5 dozen medium eggs), so I have quite a few eggs right now. After weighing my options I decided to whip up a couple of Pumpkin Pies using up my leftovers. Pumpkin Pie is a favorite at my house. Child #3 can eat one all by himself....if I let him, so I am fairly certain they will be eaten in short order!

For any one who would care to try my concoction here is the recipe. I adapted my tried and true Pumpkin Pie recipe out of the Better Homes and Garden's New Cook Book.

Frugal Pumpkin Pie
(makes two pies)
2 single unbaked pie crusts
3 1/2 cups pumpkin, butternut squash, or sweet potatoes (or any combination that equals 3 1/2 cups)
1 cup sugar (or 3/4 cup Splenda)
1 table spoon pumpkin pie spice
4 large eggs (or 5 medium eggs ) slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk ( I used egg nog in place of the evaporated milk)

Mix together pumpkin, sugar, and pie spice. Add in beaten eggs and mix until well combined. Slowly mix in evaporated milk and continue beating until thoroughly combined. Divide pumpkin mixture between to unbaked pie crusts. Bake at 375 for 50 - 55 minutes; until a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate after completely cooled.


2 comments:

  1. I bet the egg nog made it taste divine! Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin pie is probably the favorite pie of choice around here, too. Your pies look fabulous! Great job cleaning up the fridge and making everyone happy!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails