Thursday, January 14, 2010

Refresh Your Dry Herbs

Quick tip today! When you are cooking and a recipe calls for dried herbs, you can refresh the flavor of the herb by rubbing it between the palm of your hands. Place the amount called for in the recipe in the palm of your hand. Then rub the herb between your palms into the other ingredients called for in the recipe. This crushes the herb and renews the flavor. This works especially well when cooking with your crock pot. Word of caution, DON'T try this with bay leaves, they are poisonous when eaten!! Bay leaves are designed to be simmered in the recipe and then removed from the soup or stew before serving it.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know Bay leaves were poisonous! I put them in my flour to keep the weavel out and never worried too much if some got crunched. Guess I'll be watching closer now. Thanks! Notice how many hits you have? Over 1000 and you have been going for, what a month? I told you you would be hit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea too bad salt and cinnamon are all I use LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually bay leaf is not poisonous. The mountain laurel and cherry laurel, which are frequently confused with the bay leaf, are in fact poisonous. Use all the bay leaf you want and eat the leaves (as I do) and live forever!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails