Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Making Your Own Corsages

When child #1 decided that girls no longer had cooties, and that maybe it might be fun to take one to a school dance, I was a little bit excited (and a little bit anxious... I almost had to breath into a paper bag for a minute or two). Then he actually did ask a very nice little gal to the Homecoming Dance. I happily got on line to order a corsage, and about wet my pants when I saw the price attached to a very simple wrist corsage! The cheapest one, which consisted of two flowers, a half a yard of ribbon, and a ton of greenery was $24.99. The the one I really wanted to order was $44.99. At this point, I really did need to breathe into a paper bag. I was hyperventilating, because the lion's share of the dance budget was going to purchase flowers. In my frugal little mind there had to be a better way. So, I went online and started searching websites. I came across this very informative SITE that gives step by step instructions on how to make your own corsage. After hitting Joann's Fabric Store (but any craft supply store will have everything you need) for the necessary supplies:


  • a wristlet (that is the base of the corsage, and the elastic wristband)
  • E-6000 adhesive
  • 1/2 inch gauze ribbon (if you can find wire ribbon that works best)
  • floral wire
  • small needle nose pliers
  • an assortment of fresh flowers (the cheapest option was to buy flower bundles at the local grocery store. I got mine at Fred Meyers.)
If you are also making boutonnieres you will need:
  • green floral tape
  • decorative straight pins
Next, I gathered together some of the other mother's in the neighborhood who had children attending the dance to share the fun. After, an afternoon of socializing and chit chat I had produced these:




Here's a couple of handy tips I learned to make it even more economical.
  • Split the cost of the flowers with other people if you can.
  • Check out your yard or a neighbors for greenery (the ivy came from my dear sweet neighbors yard, plus she gave me a start so I can grow my own.)
  • Watch dollar stores for ribbon, wire clippers, and floral wire.
  • Go online and print off a picture of a corsage you like to use as a reference.
  • Dollar Tree has gold and silver embossed gift boxes. Add in a sheet of tissue paper or shredded paper (or better yet a few Hershey's kisses) and the corsage, and you have a professional looking result.
  • You can get clear plastic containers from the bakery to put your corsage in, too. Add some shredded paper (and a few Hershey kisses, of course) along with the corsage.
I was surprised how easy they were to make (and I DO NOT have any floral arranging skills to speak of). I just followed the tutorial above. The best part is that my fabulous floral creations only cost about $4.00 each. This is a definite must try!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I wish i would of had this a couple of months ago. I passed out when I order a simple corsage and paid 30.00 for it. It was such a simple and not great thing. I was so not impressed when I saw it. Next time it is you to the rescue once again!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! And just in time for the Prom, too. Thanks, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina you are so talented..I hope to still be in the ward when Noah has to go to prom

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails